Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Er...which Washington is that?

So begins our journey from Washington, DC to our new home in Bellingham, Washington. My name is Aries and I'm a female greyhound... a retired racer actually. For most of my life I've lived in a cramped two-bedroom 4th floor walk-up apartment in Washington, DC's upper Northwest. Before that I raced other dogs on a track in West Virginia. I didn't do well. It wasn't my fault... I was fast, but what was my motivation? Nobody could tell me! I was just supposed to follow the other dogs, but none of them knew why they were running either. Something about chasing something around and around the track, but you could never catch it no matter how fast you ran... sounds like some version of Hell doesn't it? It was... right down to the food and the accommodations. After a few months the track fired me and I was adopted by this nice woman named Jen, and she married this nice guy named Sean. He has a cat named Stoney. We get along well, but we both hate the apartment. At least I get to visit the wonderful parks in DC, but Stoney is stuck inside all day. We were both in a rut and needed a change, so I did my best to convince the humans that we need a better home. I didn't mean one that's 3,000 miles away! I'm going to miss my DC parks and all of my DC friends! I know Jen, Sean, and Stoney will too... but they assure me that Bellingham is the right place to move.

Jen and Sean keep telling me that I will love Bellingham, and that they have two nieces there who are looking forward to playing with me (I love children!). They also promise that I won't have to climb four flights of stairs anymore, and that I'll have more room inside and out. That's good news for the cat too, but the poor guy doesn't travel well. He is going to stay with our friend Stephanie, who will fly him out to Bellingham after we get settled. Staying at Stephanie's is fun! She runs a pet-sitting service and you get to meet all kinds of cats and dogs. She also has lots of treats. Stephanie was very sad to see us go. She kept asking, "Are you sure you've seen all the monuments?" We're going to miss her too, but at least she'll be visiting soon!

Sorry for the long post, but a lot happened in a short time. Sean finished up his job at AU, and was very sad to leave. They gave him a party that made him feel a lot better. Stephanie also threw us a party at the Fleetwood. I was invited to this one!




We tried to spend as much time as possible with family and friends, but packing sure was a lot of work... mostly for Jen and Sean. On our last night in DC I slept with them on our living room floor.













All of our furniture was gone, so it was really strange... at least the tennis balls I lost under the couch were still there!

1 comment:

M Liu said...

Aries, Love your blog! Please say hello to Jen and Sean for me. Look forward to more blogs. Have a great trip! Make sure Jen and Sean take you for some good walks. I'm guessing your legs get a bit cramped in the car. Lots of love! ~Michelle